Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Grain In Spain




Stays mostly in Spain.

But this homegrown shit? Watch out.

That's right, it's all-grain time. Make the jump. Piss standing. Disregard females, acquire currency and all that Ducreux shit.

So anyhow. I pieced together a mash/lauter tun (aka MLT). The truncated idea, if you needed to ask somebody, is that you've got to get your grain wet and keep it hot for a long time. About an hour. Which is a long-ass time for me to do anything.

Luckily, enzymes do most of the work while the "brewer" can go dick off. They make short work of long-chain carbohydrates, breaking them down into digestible pieces. In a way, I like to think of the enzymes as butchers, and the yeast as refined members of society. More on that later (probably not).

Here's the deal, chipmunk. Bought a bunch of fittings and braids and tees and supply lines and all that happy-pappy poo-poo.



With a hacksaw, some teflon tape, the concentration of a coked-up chihuahua and a little luck, this is what happened.



And BY-FRACKIN'-JOVE, it works.



Doesn't leak a damn drop, unless I tell it to.

Anyhow. Next step? Acquire grain, heat water, add water to grain, steep, drain, rinse, drain, add hops & boil, rack, ferment, bottle and drink.

How you like me now?

1 comment:

  1. I like you a lot, Don Oso. I like you a lot. Great writing voice! A+

    ReplyDelete